De-icing Your Sidewalks to Keep Your Customers Safe
When freezing weather hits, sidewalks, driveways and parking lots can become dangerously slick. And if you’ve ever gotten out there with a shovel, you know how tenaciously that ice can cling! There are many different ways of de-icing your sidewalk, whether it’s using one of many chemical compounds to melt it or using more environmentally friendly products to provide traction and prevent slippage. Here are 6 tips from Today’s Homeowner for de-icing your sidewalk:
Ice Removal Tips
- Go Easy: Use the minimum amount of deicer or anti-icer needed. Remember that it’s only supposed to break the bond to make shoveling easier; it’s not supposed to melt it all.
- Sprinkle Early: The sooner you can apply an ice removal product, the better. Head out right as the snow or ice starts, and sprinkle a thin layer on sidewalks and steps to prevent a sticky buildup.
- Check Effectiveness: You should see the ice begin to melt within 15-30 minutes. If it isn’t melting, the temperature may be too low for your product.
- Pellets vs. liquid: Pellets or crystals are best for applying on top of ice, so they can melt their way straight down. Liquids are best applied as preventative measures. Deicing flakes are less effective.
- Be Aware of Risks: Deicers and anti-icers can be harmful to humans, pets, and your lawn, particularly if over applied. They can also interfere with the freeze-thaw cycles in concrete and damage your driveway, and the liquid layer can increase rusting of iron and steel. To protect your home and loved ones, use these products very sparingly. If deicers and anti-icers are applied properly, it doesn’t take much to get great results.
- Let Parkway help! Don’t have the time or manpower to keep your business’ sidewalks, driveways and parking lots ice-free? Parkway Lawn Service will keep your customers, clients and employees safe with our commercial de-icing services. We apply salt and other melting agents that provide an abrasive surface with enough friction for easy walking and to ensure your comfort and safety. Then you won’t need to worry about it all day as the temperatures continue to get colder and can focus more on the production of your business and services. Let us worry about the snow and ice!
We offer services at all of your small business location needs including shopping centers, store-fronts, offices and restaurants. Our commercial snow removal service provides prompt, dependable clearing and de-icing of sidewalks, driveways and parking lots. Let our experienced team come and take care of your small business’ de-icing needs.
We’ve been family-owned and operated since 1980, and are fully licensed and insured. Serving customers in South Minneapolis, Edina, Richfield, Bloomington and Eden Prairie. Get a free estimate today!